Setting The Standard In Waterproofing
The following applications can be applied using the OPTISEAL SEAMLESS POLYURETHANE WATERPROOFING SYSTEM – roof balcony/terraces/verandas, under tile wet areas, water tanks, ponds, Gypsum and fibre cement boards, pedestrian decks, foundations, parking decks, bridges, detailed waterproofing, glass domes, polyurethane foamed roofs. Waterproofing of old Bitumen felts, Asphalt felts, EPDM and PVC Membranes and old Acrylic Coatings.
Various accreditation standards and their organizations are available for accrediting liquid polyurethane waterproofing systems of which some are EN-ISO, ASTM, TUV, BS and DIN of which we mainly test against ASTM standards. Having researched the current results of products on the market including our systems the majority of seamless polyurethane coating systems have similar results being that the tensile strengths of PU Coatings applied at a dry film thickness of 1 – 1,5mm thicknesses achieve from 400%-900% elongation and between 4 Mpa or N/mm2 to 7 Mpa or N/mm2 tensile strength at break. For interest sake 4mm thick APP modified bituminous membranes tensile strengths are on average from between 7,5 – 15 Mpa or N/mm2 and elongation is between 40% – 60% for a 4mm membrane. This is important to know when comparing the two types of systems. Polyurethane coatings at 1 – 1,5mm dry film thicknesses can also handle expansion and contraction, settlement cracks of up to 2mm. Although for a greater than 2mm crack a structural engineer needs to check the integrity of the structure to ascertain the problem.
The Optima Coatings OPTISEAL SEAMLESS POLYURETHANE WATERPROOFING SYSTEM illustrates quite a few technologically superior advantages as a roof waterproofing system over the current 3 or 4mm bituminous membranes being applied by offering an easy application with guaranteed long lasting results for your roof waterproofing needs. Ideal for repair and renewal, new low pitch or flat roofing designs, the OPTISEAL SEAMLESS POLYURETHANE WATERPROOFING SYSTEM is an abrasion and weather resistant film with exceptional strength and elasticity and can also accommodate daily wear and tear from medium to heavy foot traffic. Its ‘breathability’ ensures that any trapped moisture can escape without compromising the water tightness of the system. In contrast the moisture or water vapour resistance of torch-on bituminous membranes are extremely high (up to 8 times higher) than polyurethane coatings at 1-1,5mm thicknesses which means that moisture or vapour in the slab trying to escape cannot and the vapour will condense to water soluble and possible cause adhesion issues or delaminate the system.
Polyurethane liquid coating systems have other advantages over traditional types of waterproofing particularly within the refurbishment sector. As well as being cold applied, a liquid coating offers a seamless roof finish. It forms a permanently elastic, seamless membrane and is ideal for long term waterproofing of awkward roof details such as pipe penetrations, upstands and gutters. These characteristics also make the system a perfect choice for the long term protection of balconies, terraces and patios. This system is for new build or refurbishment projects (where conditions allow, existing systems can be overlaid, avoiding costly removals of old systems). Suitable for all roof decks polyurethane liquid coating systems will bond to a great many substrates, allowing its use in many situations without having to remove and dispose of the existing roof covering. This saves time and avoids the cost of removal and cost/environmental issues associated with disposal.
Polyurethane liquid coating systems therefore have the following advantages:
• High performance thermal and UV stable liquid membrane based on elastomeric hydrophobic polyurethane resins.
• One component systems being quick and easy to apply by roller, brush or airless spray
• Excellent adhesion to most roof substrates with a rapid cure whilst being overcoatable
• Controlled film thickness and seamless joins therefore no uneven build-up which usually leads to pooling of water
• The system can be applied to relatively damp (up to 10% moisture content) surfaces when a damp proof epoxy primer is firstly applied which means that on new builds the full 28 days curing hydration period may not be required.
• Provides high UV and solar reflectivity thereby decreasing the roof structures surface and therefore internal temperatures leading to the building assets lower energy costs.
• Very high elongation (400 – 850%) product dependant which allows the liquid membrane to be applied over new builds prone to high expansion and contraction of the concrete slab or screed. Also joints are catered for by this high elongation in both high and low temperatures. Movement of up to 2mm is permissible as the membrane will tolerate this extreme movement.
• Easy to recoat areas where access is limited or difficult to reach areas as well as repairing damaged polyurethane membranes by overcoating
• Minimal maintenance to be conducted on liquid membranes.
• A low MVTR factor or moisture vapour resistance allowing the concrete slab/deck to ‘breathe’ if there is moisture present in the concrete thus not blistering or damaging the liquid membrane
• A high service temperature resistance of over 90 degrees Celsius and a low service temperature of -30 degrees Celsius
• Resistant to detergents, oils, seawater, and domestic chemicals
• Water impermeability and resistant to water pressure thus ensuring water tightness of the membrane
• Can be applied over old bituminous or asphalt membranes thus not requiring removal of the previous system which is conditional on a site inspection to clarify extent of damage
• At a dry film thickness of 1,2mm we can guarantee the OPTISEAL SEAMLESS POLYURETHANE WATERPROOFING SYSTEM for a total of 10 years
SEE BELOW CHART OF AN EXAMPLE OF THE LEVELS OF USE FOR CATEGORIES ACCORDING TO EU STANDARDS
PS. PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THAT THE WORKING LIFE OF THE FILM AT 1,2MM THICKNESS IS IN A W2 AREA AND LASTS FOR A MINIMUM OF 10 YEARS. IF YOU INCREASE THE THICKNESS TO 3MM A 25 LIFE EXPECTANCY CAN BE EXPECTED AND THE FILM WILL HAVER A LOWER ELONGATION, INCREASE TENSILE STRENGTH AND INCREASE THE MOISTURE VAPOUR RESISTANCE
OPTIMA COATINGS WATERPROOFING RANGE OF PRODUCTS INCLUDES:
• DURATOP BITUTHANE a bitumen polyurethane waterproof coating
• OPTISEAL DETAIL a fibre-filled thixotropic aliphatic polyurethane coating, forms a colour-fast, abrasion and weather resistant film with exceptional strength.
• DURATOP PRIMER WB a 2 component water based epoxy primer
• OPTISEAL PU CLASSIC a ‘breathable’ high performance thermal and UV stable liquid membrane based on elastomeric hydrophobic polyurethane resins with QUV of 2000 hours and elongation of over 400%.
• OPTISEAL AQUA 70 a single pack water based UV stable polyurethane topcoat over above coatings.
• PROTECTAKOTE UVR SMOOTH a smooth or anti-slip aliphatic polyurethane coating, which forms a colour-fast, abrasion and weather resistant film with exceptional strength. PROTECTAKOTE UVR is ideal for use as an anti-slip protective coating for indoor and exterior applications .